Posted: November 20, 2023
Electric Vs. Propane Water Heaters
What is the difference?
We use hot water for so many things within our daily lives (showering, washing dishes, doing laundry, washing our hands), which means your water heater plays an extremely important role in your home. Therefore, the decision regarding how you power your water heater is not one that should be taken lightly.
What you may know is that there are electric water heaters and propane water heaters.
What you may not know is what the difference is between the two, which type is best for you and your home and what the benefits are of using one over the other.
Electric Water Heaters
Electric water heaters rely on electricity and power to run and operate. Typically, they cost more to use than natural gas or propane water heaters since electricity itself tends to be more expensive than fuel sources such as propane. They also won’t work if you find yourself in the middle of a blackout since they require power to run.
Propane Water Heaters
Propane water heaters use propane gas as opposed to electricity to operate. Propane is thought to be one of the most versatile and powerful sources of home energy that is currently available.
A tankless propane water heater can provide a home with an endless supply of hot water on demand and can eliminate the worry about running out of hot water. With a tankless propane water heater, there is always enough hot water to go around even if someone is doing dishes while someone else is taking a shower.
Tankless propane water heaters keep your water warm until you are done using it, at which point it will shut off automatically.
The Benefits of Propane Water Heaters
Aside from the endless supply of hot water mentioned above, there are plenty of other advantages of using propane water heaters. Here are a few:
- Propane water heaters are cost effective: According to the U.S. Department of Energy, homeowners who use propane water heaters can save about $174 on their energy bills. Since propane tankless water heaters only use energy when you need hot water, they can save users about 40% on water heating energy bills.
- Propane tankless water heaters are small: Since there is no tank involved with this equipment, propane tankless water heaters are small and compact and the perfect size for a closet or laundry room. They aren’t bulky and they don’t take up a lot of room in a yard or a basement like some standard tanks so.
- Less carbon emissions: Electric water heaters produce about double the amount of carbon emissions when compared to propane water heaters.
- A higher efficiency level: If you are looking for a water heater that operates efficiently, propane water heaters may be your answer. Typically, they use about 30% less energy when in use than electric water heaters do. Tankless propane water heaters use even less energy (about 50% less).
- More hot water: Water heaters that are powered by propane can produce twice as much hot water as water heaters that use electricity in the same amount of time.
Tidewater Energy Has The Water Heater For You
Tidewater Energy is here and available for water heater installation and services throughout Eastern North Carolina. Our trained and experienced service technicians can assist you with selecting a top-quality tankless propane water heater that works for your specific needs. They can also provide reliable water heater installation, maintenance and repair services.
Contact us today and let us know how we can help with your water heater needs!