Posted: January 22, 2024
Is Propane Renewable Energy?
How the energy source is going green
With our world becoming more and more green and with increasing efforts being put into electronics and appliances to become more environmentally friendly, more people are turning to renewable energy.
What is renewable energy? It is energy made from renewable resources such as geothermal heat, sunlight, wind and the movement of water. All these resources can be restored naturally and most are sustainable.
Knowing what we now know about renewable energy, let’s take a look at whether or not propane is considered a renewable energy source.
Propane happens to be a clean burning and environmentally energy source. When compared to both gasoline and diesel, propane has a considerably lower carbon intensity. Plus, propane doesn’t contain any methane and it emits basically no particulate matter, which is considered a carcinogen.
Even though propane is already better for the environment than natural gas and other energy sources, renewable propane takes things a step further.
Renewable propane is made from a variety of organic feedstock such as cooking grease, animal fats, woody biomass, plant oils and municipal waste. It has a small carbon footprint and the hope is that renewable propane will help reduce carbon emissions.
Molecularly speaking, conventional propane and renewable propane are the same, which means you can use them interchangeably in any propane appliance.
In 2021, the U.S. produced about 4.6 million gallons of renewable propane and this number is expected to increase.
Reasons to consider propane
Many people, both business and homeowners, choose to use propane since it is environmentally friendly. But that’s not the only benefit that propane provides. Here are some additional advantages of using propane:
- In general, propane appliances are more efficient than their electric counterparts.
- On average, propane appliances cost about 40% to 60% less than electric appliances do.
- Propane appliances generally have a long lifespan thanks to the fact that they are clean burning.
- Since propane appliances don’t rely on electricity or power grids they work even in the event of a blackout, which means you can continue cooking, doing laundry, using hot water and operating your propane powered business.
Tidewater Energy has the residential and commercial propane you need
Both homeowners and business owners in the Eastern North Carolina area can count on Tidewater Energy for propane.
Homeowners can get the propane they need to heat their water, cook, dry clothes, light their fireplaces and power their backup generators from us.
Business owners can get the propane they need to operate their commercial kitchens, power their forklifts and heat their construction sites with generators from us.
Tidewater Energy is a full-service propane company. We pride ourselves on providing personalized, courteous and prompt service. Here is a look at what we offer:
- The installation and service of propane appliances such as water heaters, space heaters, wall heaters, generators, outdoor living appliances, fireplaces and hearth products
- 24-hour emergency service for our customers
- Propane tank leasing and installation
- Budget friendly service plans and financing options
- An automatic delivery option
So if you are in Eastern North Carolina and are looking for propane for your home or business contact Tidewater Energy today!